NiGHt RaiN: Big Yellow Taxi

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Big Yellow Taxi

'Absence makes the heart grow fonder'
.....

Originally I wanted to put, 'You don't know what you have till it's gone', since both phrases basically mean the same thing, but I decided that 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' sounds nicer.

So anyway. Today was the Science exam, and one of the things that I do not like about the examinations (besides the studying and the results part, of course) is having to wait for the time to tick slowly by before you can leave the examination. So there I was, examination paper finished and having nothing to do but to correct all the grammatical errors in the questions, when I suddenly noticed that Teacher was reading a library book.

Now, since the examinations began, I have been banished from going to the library, for very obvious reasons. Books distract me. Any book would, actually, unless its a textbook. So when I saw that new book, my first thought was "Awww. A book". My second thought was "Oh man! A book!". Seeing Teacher read it really really really made me miss proper, fun reading. Yet another reason added to my list of 'Things to Look Forward to After the Exams', right after no. 8) Freedom.

One more thing I missed. A pencil and an eraser; one of the most common things on Planet Earth. Yeah, I kinda missed them today. We were supposed to bring them up to the examination hall for the OAS sheet, but I forgot to, so that was when I missed them. Besides, they weren't there to help me pass the time by; I couldn't draw anything on the exam paper. Hmph.

And the second last thing that I missed today was my handy dandy, always-with-me notebook. I knew that I was supposed to wait for Loi after school, and I knew I had this poem in my notebook that I'm finishing, btu I just didn't bring it. So all I could do was just sit down around and do nothing (though I ended up chatting with friends). I missed the notebook and regretted not bringing it with me.

And the last thing I missed was my sense of familiarity when being around my friends. These days, there is just something, some feeling that makes me feel quite distant from them. Looking at each and everyone of them just now, I sadly realised that I didn't have much connections with them, not really. Sure, we're all close friends, and we've shared a lot of happy times we each other. But I also realised we weren't as close as sisters. We don't confide in each other, we don't share secrets, and we're nothing special. And thinking this, I just got sad. It occured to me that I never was very very very close to them. So I missed that sense of closeness that I used to have some time ago.

Deenana at 10:20 PM