NiGHt RaiN: Birds and Mice

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Birds and Mice

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"
.....

Ok, I really really don't mean to be rude, and I really really don't mean to point fingers at anybody, but since I am supposed to write about something that happened today that reminded me of a phrase or quote or poem, here goes everything.

As usual, I arrived at school early (no, I'm not the bird in the quote), and when Zahira arrived we went up together to the attic. Every Thursday, we go up into the attic to clear everything up, arrange the tables, and sweep the floor. Of course, it's just not me and Eera. There are others on duty too. And this is where the problem comes in.

Fifteen minutes into cleaning the two classrooms, only one other Green student came up. The rest hadn't yet arrived. I was kinda annoyed because not only were the classrooms hot and the kids left the classes yesterday in a horrible state, only three (mostly two) people actually went up to clean the classrooms and do their duty.

And when they finally arrived, only two of them went up, and even then they only asked, "Did Zah come up and marah?" and "Eh, sape letak meja ni? Kite nak meja lain! Tolong kite tukarkan". There wasn't any Sorry we couldn't help! or Here, let me finish the sweeping for you. No, they just went up, looked at the classroom, talked, and went down again. That's gratitude for you.

I don't mean to be whiny, and like I said, I don't want to accuse anybody or anything, but I can't help but feel annoyed. This is what reminded me of the phrase, except it's got nothing to do with the bird, but rather, the second mouse (or mice in this case). Me and Eera were the first mice (who got trapped in the mouse-trap), and then there were those who came and did nothing but just went up because they were supposed to (the second mice who got the cheese).

And the third mice who didn't even come up in the first place? Don't even get me started on them.

Deenana at 12:50 PM