NiGHt RaiN: Duit Hari Raya
Navigation
Archives
Thank You
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Duit Hari Raya
''Am I in shape?' Of course I'm in shape! Isn't round a shape?'
.....
If you actually read my post titles, unlike me myself, then just ignore it. This post has nothing to do with duit hari raya. I'm a very busy person, so I have other things on my mind too, you see. So.
The day passed without incident. After watching my daily breakfast of Sesame Street (down with Barney!), I was lying down on the sofa somewhat sleepily when the doorbell rang... Well actually, no. The door was opened and my aunt outside hollered "Assalamualaikum!", but I've always wanted to say 'the doorbell rang' because my house doesn't have a doorbell, so the doorbell is as intriguing as a mystical beast to me. Anyway.
Baba had told me that I were to give an envelope of something, probably money (the envelope was like the ones for hari raya money - my title, see?) to my aunt when she came. I didn't know if my elder boy cousins were there outside with her or not, so I sent Mona to quickly hand the envelope to her. Then Baba came out of his room and had friendly talk with her with the door in between them. Figuring that it was safe enough to be in her view, I trotted over to the kitchen. And when she saw me, I realised how wrong I was in saying 'safe enough to be in her view'. My walking seemed to have caused an immeadiate, shocking reaction.
Aunt: DIYANAH DAH GEMOOKK!!!!
Me: *thinking* EXCUSE me???
Baba: Bukan Aba yang cakap eh, die yang cakap!
I was hiding behind a curtain in the kitchen hallway at that time, and pretended that I hadn't her her yelling. You know, to lessen the embarassment. "I didn't hear what she said, sorry," I replied, but my aunt was very helpful.
Aunt: DIYANAH DAH GEMOOK LAHHH!!!
Me: *slaps forehead*
Which brings us to a flashback. Let me bring you to the great period of time past known as 'Back Then'!
Sorry. That was terribly lame.
.....
Back Then, I had already realised, of course, that I was getting a bit... hmm... bigger. I never really thought of myself as fat, just not slim. Besides, even if people hinted, it usually just bounced off me.
But then, thanks to my very very sensitive cousin, it got too much. Like I said, he's a really really sensitive guy in these kinda matters, so he naturally got straight to the point (you know, said I was fat). it was time too many; I couldn't stand it and kinda broke down. Not one of the best moments of my life. Later on, after I was done with my little tiny eensy weensy breakdown, I felt terribly stupid. I mean, to cry just because people say that I'm plump! And, sure, I'm not as beautiful as my other sisters, but I was absolutely horrified at myself! That wasn't who I am, to be crying over how I look! The shame of it all!
So I gave myself a mental slap on each (plump) cheek, got a grip, and moved on.
.....
My cousin is still as insensitive now as he ever was, but I just tell him to shut up. In a very nice, polite, yet sarcastic kinda way. But back to the story.
After my aunt had said that and continued chatting, I resumed my daily activites. My mind was no longer sleepy, but was instead fresh with thoughts and wonderings. I was going to get a bath anyway, so when I went into the toilet with all my necessities, I looked at my whole self in the mirror. Then I grinned, because I was really happy to not feel 'Oh my Allah she's right, I'm fat, and my blubber is drooping right down to the floor!'. In fact, I really felt content, and I'm proud to say that I didn't care about what she said anymore. I love lipids, and lipids love me.
Deenana at 2:27 PM