NiGHt RaiN: It Looked Different Yet Exactly the Same

Monday, May 15, 2006

It Looked Different Yet Exactly the Same

The grass may be greener on the other side, but it's just as hard to cut.

.....

Today's 'life lesson' of sorts isn't much, since there wasn't much that could be mulled over. School has gotten terribly boring. I really really can't wait for the time when we finish our examination paper tomorrow.

Wishes aside, time to talk about what I learnt today.

Today a friend and I were talking about the things that we were looking forward to once the exams are over (me: BOOKS!!) when she mentioned how her father was scolding her lately for being less attentive to her studies and lazing around more.

"'Cos I don't study last Saturday," she chatted amiably, "I just went ahead and watched TV the whole day, and when I went to my Grandfather's house, I didn't bring my textbooks to study! So my grandfather kinda scolded me for that."

I thought, I never study when I go to my grandparents' house, but just nodded as if I always did and continued listening.

"And you know," she continued, "I don't study the whole day during the weekends. I would just study for like, a couple of hours, then I would laze around the whole day. So my dad was like, "Hey! You better not be lacking!" She laughed.

And I thought, Hold on. I study for only a couple of hours every day! And since I also obviously thought that that was funny as well (study for a few hours only? Hah! Funny!), I chuckled along.

This friend whom I chatted with is always in the Top 5 positions during the exams (that's it, go ahead; start guessing who), and until today I always thought that she did study for only a few hours (ehem. like me) because she's already smart (ehem. not like me). But it's obvious from today that, no matter how much of a genius she is, she works very hard to be where she is today.

Thus the phrase above. Indeed, she might be way smarter than me, but even so, she still has to work just as hard as I have to. And at this point one would usually say, "And since I have learnt that piece of wisdom today, I am going to study as hard as I can, so that I can be just as well off in school as she is". But of course, tomorrow is the last examination, so I probably realised this piece of wisdom a little too late. Oh well.

Deenana at 10:05 PM